It may seem as though I have abandoned my writing, but it's not true, I have just had so much going on in my life that mind just isn't in a creative state, I need peace and quiet and calm ... I've got rushing here and there to fulfil obligations, and rescuing animals.
Back in June, hubby and I had been feeding a stray mama dog who was nursing puppies. At first she'd lie and watch us while we were out at the property that we bought last November. We left food out on the barn porch.
Then, suddenly, one day there she was with her puppies and we started taking care of them as well. I wormed by putting Safeguard in their food, and I de-flead by putting Capstar in ground beef meatballs, as they wouldn't let us touch them.Fast forward to 3 weeks ago, and they didn't show for 3 days so I called around and found that Animal Control had picked them up (actually a total of 11 dogs from that abandoned property) and they were at a local shelter. We went and got the stray mama and a male that was obviously bonded with her. This Thursday, we go back to get another, who'd been spayed but had been pregnant. We've made them a home in our barn, and Mama and the male, Sonny, have settled in well and love us dearly, even beginning to play like puppies. A great improvement over the emotional shutdown in the shelter and for the first day with us, during which time neither had eaten.
Our property is a 45-60 minute drive from our home where we have 4 dogs, 3 of our own and our great-grand-puppy who is the oldest. It's hectic trying to run 2 households and spending a few hours at the one in order to love on and care for Mama and Sonny, and our goats and chicken that are down there.
Then coming home to our others, who smell them on us and feel neglected. Introductions will happen but not until after we get Lady Lou from the shelter on Thursday and get her settled in and feeling safe and unthreatened.
Added to which, school started again a couple of weeks ago, and I take my great grandson to school and pick him up some afternoons. My 71 year old body is not dealing with the early mornings again very well! Added to which, we are having a heatwave and guess what died in my car - yep, the AC! So those afternoon pick ups are also stressful. I've never been good in the heat, I am so ready for the cooler climes of Autumn.
Basically, though, not enough time in the day to get into a creative/writing frame of mind.
On a good note: I donated 28 of my books to our local Shriner's Children's Hospital, and wrote a little note in the front of each. I hope they lighten the load of the kids in there. I am in awe of how much they deal with, and how they stay so stoic in the face of it all. Shriner's Children's and St. Judes are 2 of the charities I support, along with other local organizations.
I apologise for my absence, and will try to get back in the swing of things soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment